Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Sunday, October 26, 2008



The dialog project was very interesting and very challenging to me. Creating specific and defined spaces took a lot of thought and trial and error. I really enjoyed this project because to actually get it I had to think outside of the box.
A few ways in which Dialog was created in some of our projects was by creating two spaces back to back, interaction between negative space and postive space, and the use of specifics. When defining the spaces/places in our projects some of the concepts that were used were bigger outweighing smaller and also identical space. The idea of a system was generated in ways such as parts = whole, geometry, and a system of parts.
With out certain parts some of the projects would not have worked, so the joinery was very important in supporting the projects concepts and strategies. A couple of ways in which that was done are as follows: 1) setting something next to another, and 2) each connection supports one another.
Through the scale of the projects we were able to determine space and relativity, and better understand total lengths, shapes, and connections. Our graphics/parti's helped add to the understanding of our projects because they better helped define spaces, gave us more clarity and ideas about our own projects, and helped the viewer(s) better understand what concept/strategy was used and the process.
Overall and initial ideas about this project were evolved in many different ways. A few were through a precedent, dialog, our previous projects, and purpose for the project.

Final Idea/Project

Thursday, October 9, 2008

"UNITY 12:12"

The final product of this project was definitely a progression from my first attempt at it. The first ideas I had was the use of pairs, the balance of skewers and paper in which they would intersect some way, folding the paper so that it would stand 2'' high instead of 4", and also the radial effect.(1st photo) In the second attempt, I for the most part re-designed the 1st iteration, and experimented with adding a few features and taking out a few. It was a much more successful attempt than the 1st and I took the same ideas that I originally had and used them in my 2nd. My 3rd and 4rth attempts were changing the shapes and folds and trying new ways to arrange the sticks. Finally my 5th attempt was the most succesful and I still kept the same ideas from the 1st iteration in the final product which included folding the paper, curving the paper, piercing the paper, the use of pairs and keeping the radial effect.

Skewers and Vellum

-There were many projects that related alot to my project, and possessed the same characteristics so I chose to talk about 2. The first is Erica Anderson's. A few similarites that I found were that we both chose to puncture or use holes as another form of a binding agent. Both of our projects were radial in a sense, with mine's giving off the twisted effect. THe use of curves was evident in both projects, and we both used the skewers to help communicate and connect the project as a whole. We also both chose to place the skewers "opposite sided" with 6 being point on on one side and flat on the other, and vis-versa. I felt like both of our projects also drew the viewers eye upward and out. We both also chose to use th effect of folding the paper to communicate smaller scale and even stronger paper.
-The second person I chose to compare my project with was Kinsey Jones. Alot of the similarites that are evident in Erica and I's are present in Kinsey project as well. Kinsey and I both had the form of an x incorporated in our projects. Some similarites that were present in Kinsey that were also present in both Erica and I's were ther folding of the paper and opposite sided skewers.



This is the final product that I used for my twig project. I stitched the outskirt of the paper to bind it together which by the way my binding agent was sewing yarn. I also decided to stitch around my twigs to highlight and outline the shape and length of each one. The use of color was a continuation from the 1st iteration that I completed for this project. I really felt like they worked well with the brown and tan in the twigs. My precedent was actually a bridge, and I chose it because through my 1st attempt at this project, there was a bridge shaped form that inspired me to use a bridge for my precedent. This model relates to the precedent for 2 reasons. The 1s being that when I think of a bridge I thing of 3 different processes of movement. The 1st being the incline that you make to go up the bridge, the second being the some times short, sometimes long horizontal movement that is made, and then ofcourse the decline in which you exit the bridge. This is evident in this project by the form, and that is why it is split into 3 sections. Secondy, when I think of a bridge, I think of the horizontal and vertical bars used to support the structure. That was the reason for placing the twigs in 2 different directions. This actually was my second to last attempt at this project. I chose to use this particular model because I felt at the time that it communicated my concept in a better way. I feel like the last attempt was actually more visually appealing, but it didn't clarify as well as this one did. This next photo is actualy the last attempt.

Precedent - 12 Twigs Project

This is the Eitai bridge in Tokyo, Japan which is very beautiful and it reminds me alot of my "twig" project because of 2 factors. The first being that the actual bridge arches around the same angle that the "arch" in my project does, and the second is that the proportions and relation of the bridge to the buildings behind it(or at least from this particular view) shows a lot of characteristics as the twigs the way that they are intertwined together and the way it appears to be 12 buildings.